Wednesday, March 23, 2011

"Totally Unreasonable Settlement Demands" - ruling by Judge Mark A. Juhas

When reading the published "in re: Marriage of Fong" opinion for the first time, one thing popped out at me as a huge error - that I had not responded to settlement offers.

While it's not clear as to what I did to frustrate settlement, in Judge Mark A. Juhas written ruling, he clearly shows that our settlement offers were reasonable, while Marci Kington's settlement offers were "totally unreasonable".  The complete ruling from the judge is available in PDF format by clicking HERE.


When Marci sought a settlement of 2.4 million dollars, when the judge ruled that the marital estate back then was only 1.125 million, her settlement offer was 5 times too high.  Ours was a little lower than the ruling, but not much.  Which shows that what we were offering was very close to the authentic number.

So what this left me with was this - either pay five times more than you need to, or show the court how unreasonable their number is.  

Barbara Hammers, the attorney representing Marci, shared with one of my witnesses (who then testified in a sworn declaration) that she was "clearly frustrated at my unwillingness to settle merely to avoid legal fees" and then pondered in an email to Ken Scott (who is a Vice President of Paralegal Services at Bank of America) "why can't people approach divorce like a business?"

Approaching this situation as a business, though I spent about a million dollars defending myself against this unreasonable settlement offer, I'm still ahead a million dollars from their unreasonable settlement offer.

My opinion is that Barbara Hammers smelled a big jackpot.  With her belief that the "one with the most money pays all of the legal fees in a divorce" she probably thought she could do anything she wanted, and I'd have to pay for what she was doing.


No comments:

Post a Comment