Thursday, March 17, 2011

Not My First Rodeo

I find it very disconcerting that attorneys and other legal professionals can be tempted to wield  powers of intimidation to threaten people or make their lives more uncomfortable by the deterrent of expensive legal fees.

Typically, this type of behavior does not go with impunity. Years ago, I was plaintiff in a federal lawsuit (full jury trial) where the behavior of the opposing counsel was so bold that he got sanctioned by federal judge and ordered to pay personally over $15,000 for his behavior.


The attorney, David E. Newhouse,  sent me a personal check as he was ordered to by Judge Audrey B. Collins. Having been through that situation, I pretty much believed that there was some semblance of control over attorney behavior.

But this isn't really the case in family law.  It is quite different in family law. While there are intelligent and talented judicial officers at every level, in federal courts, the judges are appointed by the President of the United States, whereas in family courts, you may get a Commissioner who is a attorney and not elected judicial official.

Still, I feel that overall (even though it may take years and years) the reputation of legal professionals eventually gets out into the open. Here is the order from the judge sanctioning David E. Newhouse. Now that I reflect on how Barbara Hammers tried to have me thrown in jail for paying a $90,000 attorney fee award in payments (even though she never served on me), I'm pretty sure that the oversight on the attorney behavior is not the same in family courts as it is at the federal level.

No comments:

Post a Comment